Thursday 21 August 2014

Susan Moor Exhibition Opening: Texts and Images

Very many thanks to everyone who came to the opening of my exhibition at Bede's World.  It was lovely that so many Scribes turned up to support me, making it a really special occasion.

Choosing work for the exhibition was rather like rummaging through the past 25 years of my life, from my first formal piece of calligraphy done under the guidance of Suzanne Cannon at the Discovery Museum, to the wall-mounted book of the same text, done last year.

The Mayoress of South Tyneside attended the opening, and showed real interest in calligraphy.  However, as I took her round, I noticed that she was the only 'official' guest.  So thanks again to Scribes and students, or it would just have been the two of us, and rather embarrassing on both sides.

The venue for the exhibition was switched at the last moment, so if you go to see it, you'll have to find your way to the 'Bede's Head" gallery.  I've been assured that if you say you're visiting Bede's World to see it, you won't have to pay the entrance fee.

Curator Sophie and all-round handy person Stuart did a splendid job of hanging the work in an unusual space.  Bede's World gave us some nice refreshments, though I believe there was a rather unfortunate incident involving the projection of a cream scone.  And finally many thanks to Rosa Barnett (daughter of Janet) for taking the photos.

Susan's exhibition was open by the Lady Mayoress of South Tyneside who was introduced by John Sadler (photo by Rosa Barnett)

No comments:

Post a Comment